St. Andrew’s Church is one of the oldest churches in Bombay, built by the Portuguese Jesuits in 1575. It stands on the sea-shore of the Bandra suburb of Bombay, and was the only church there till the first quarter of the 17th century.
The high altar of the church extends almost to the roof, and carries statues of Sacred Heart, Our Lady and St Andrew. Smaller statues of St John the Baptist, St Sebastian and the Bom Jesu are above the main statues. The 16th-century wood side altars were carved and painted in popular Portuguese style. The church also has 16th-century hanging wood panels depicting the Resurrection of the Christ and the Assumption of Mother Mary, and a 16th-century pulpit. One of the largest and oldest stone crosses in Mumbai is in its compound. This stone cross is carved from a single stone. Originally installed at the older Church of St. Anne, it was moved. The Maratha Army destroyed the church during the invasion of the settlement. The Church of St. Anne was formerly at the site of the current Bandra Bus Depot.
A small round aperture in the center of the front facade of the building, just above the statue of St Andrew, allows the rising sun to shine into the church.
St Andrew Church houses a mini-museum in the choir loft. The church conducts regular masses every day.