The only Opera House in India was constructed in 1912. In the initial stages it was restricted to stage Operas for Elite British officials. After the first world war it became difficult to maintain the opera house because of its restriction and later in 1930’s due to introduction of Cinemas its popularity decreased.
In 1935 the restriction to just screen operas in The Opera House was taken away, movie screening and fashion shows were held. But by 1980’s Cinemas had completely taken over and the Opera house ran in loss again. By 1993 the Opera house was closed after a last fashion show. In 2008 Maharashtra government agency took over to restore the heritage place. Its under final phase of restoration work and estimated to be re-opened in 2016.