Flora Fountain is one of the Historic monuments built in 1864,named after a Roman Goddess Flora. Beauty of this fountain lies in its sculpture which combines statue of a Roman Goddess of flowers at the top of fountain , the four corners of the fountain which are decorated with mythological figures and spray of water. History of Flora Fountain goes back to 1860 when Old Mumbai Fort was demolished by then Governor Sir Bartle Frere in order to improve space requirements of then growing Mumbai city. The Fort had been built by British East India Company which had 3 gates, Appolo Gate, Church Gate and Bazaar Gate. Flora Fountain was made at the same place where Church gate stood before its demolition along with the Mumbai Fort. It was constructed out of a donation of Rs 20,000.
Fountain was built in the heart of South Mumbai in the middle of a square where five streets meet(now called the Hutatma Chowk) and is walking distance from Shivaji Terminus and Church Gate. It is surrounded by the British Era buildings and has been declared a heritage structure and continues to charm visitors with its beauty.